The Chief Report - Movie Blog

Monday, May 16, 2005

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

So I saw Eternal Sunshine for the second time this weekend. I had warned my family that it might be a little too complicated to understand immediately. At least that's how I felt the first time I saw it. But as I watched it again, I wondered what issues I had the first time around. First of all, I think it's a tremendously well made, well written love story. And the idea is fantastic. Who among us hasn't wished they could erase someone from their memory because the memories hurt so much? Hell, I'm contemplating doing it right now (which may be while I enjoyed it so much the second time around, generally most movies the second time around don't hold as much joy for me.) The filmmakers do jump around a lot and if you're not paying attention you could get lost, but if you concentrate it's not that hard to follow. I really think the movie got lost in the shuffle when it was released over a year ago. Or maybe mass audiences just didn't get it. But it's definitely worth seeing. Jim Carrey has never been better and Kate Winslet is always a treat. But it's the writing of Charlie Kaufman that takes the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home