The Chief Report - Movie Blog

Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

With the remake coming out in a few days I thought I'd go back and watch the original.  And to me, out of the big 3 horror films of my youth (Elm Street, Halloween and Friday th 13th) Elm Street is the most dated.  I think a lot of that has to do with the cheesy synth music that plays over everything.  I also realized that Freddy doesn't really show up much in the movie.  He's more in the background a lot of the time.  But since we've all come to know and love Freddy as a character, I was a little disappointed there wasn't more of him.  I also didn't find him as scary as I did... 25+ years ago.  Which of course makes sense.  The movie has a lot of starts and stops and I never really got into it as much as I though I would.  I'm not against remakes and while Freddy is far and away my favorite horror character of all time, I think a remake is in the calling.  I don't expect it to be great, but I do expect it to be fun.

Oh, and here's the song that plays over the closing credits of the original - be warned, it's really, really bad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDW0ITBaepY

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home