The Chief Report - Movie Blog

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Firefly/Serenity

I recently got my Netflix streaming DVD for the Wii and decided to test it out by watching Firefly.  I hadn't watched the show when it was on but everyone kept telling me I should.  I had watched Serenity when the movie came out a few years ago and I liked it.  I immediately got hooked on Firefly and watched all 14 episodes over the course of 2 weekends.  Then I decided to go back and watch Serenity again, now that I knew who all the characters were.  I found that I liked and disliked it more at the same time.  I disliked it more because I didn't feel the movie kept the same spirit of the show.  River, who was a minor character in Firefly, suddenly became the focus of the movie.  Yes, I imagine the writers of the show believed they'd have a couple of seasons to enhance her character and make her story more important, but by making her leap into the forefront, they short shifted everyone else.  Inara, for instance, had virtually nothing to do in the movie, but was much more important in the show.  I understand why the movie might not have kept the spirit of the show, because it needed to be able to attract people who hadn't even heard of Firefly.  But it did feel a little off to me.  At the same time, knowing the characters helped my understanding of their reactions and when one of the major characters dies in Serenity, how everyone reacted made so much more sense.  And it meant more to me too since I had see this character through 14 previous hours.  All in all though, if you haven't seen Firefly/Serenity I would give it a shot.  It's quite addictive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home